* more feared than the piranha
* Considered illegal for private ownership in many states including Texas, California, and Florida.
* The freshwater species is considered the most harmful in states with warm rivers due to the possible chance of release into the wild.The water conditions are perfect for survival and reproduction of this particular species.
* have a lengthwise groove filled with venom- producing tissue on the underside.
* have a strong bite even though the mouth is small.
* If stung with the spines, though not fatal, the wound would be very painful and could have possible swelling for a week.
* When spines are discharged, immediately new ones replace the lost ones.
* Spines are barbed; therefore, if you are stung, the spines would be difficult to remove.